Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Back in the Game

Well, this week marks my last first week of graduate school. It's kind of surreal how quickly the time has gone by. All of a sudden it is my turn to begin the job hunt, apply for graduation, and begin planning for an actual future as opposed to a future that is so far off it is only a fantasy. I had an Ah-Ha moment in class last night. One of the questions for our introductory spill was "Where do you see yourself in 3 years?" Welp, the answer to that question 3 years ago was "Working on my Masters degree here at MSU". Now the answer has changed to "I'm not really sure where the next 3 months will take me, much less 3 years. I hope to be working in a college setting in an office that allows me one-on-one personal interaction with students on a day-to-day basis." Vague, but precise. I have the idea of what I want out of my future place of employment, but I also have no clue where that place of employment might be. I've dodged this time in my life by continuing my education. Now that's no longer an option...until I can pay for it. Mom and Dad are probably chomping at the bits at the thought of pocketing tuition money and rent after December. The bird will finally leave the cage. The nest will finally be truly empty. (If my mom is reading this, I guarantee you she is getting misty-eyed. For those of you who know her, you understand how tender she is about certain subjects.) The eldest of two will finally be off the family payroll...except for the occasional slip of a little "Coke Money" as my grandmother calls it. Coke in reference to Coca-Cola...just to clear that up.





So let me enlighten you, my captivated audience, on the newest developments in my life really quickly. I hope this won't bore you, but if you find yourself dozing off while reading this, please do yourself a favor and make sure not to drool on the keyboard. It's not good for computers to mingle with water or liquid of any form. Okay, on to the happenings of Jessica Brooke Mistletoe "Misty" Unique Collins...

I landed an internship with the MSU Career Center. It is required that students in our Masters program complete an internship before graduation, so that's what I'm doing. I was somewhat shocked to find out that my internship would consist of me actually teaching Career Planning, a freshman-leveled 3 hour lecture that is meant to provide students with the resources necessary for them to use when taking initiative of choosing a major or mapping out their career goals. In case you don't understand what I have just said to you, please take a moment and read the sentence again. I AM TEACHING A COLLEGE COURSE. I am in control of 20 poor souls every Tuesday and Thursday. They are mine to mold and develop. Look out kids, it's going to be an interesting ride!



Okay, so on top of the internship I am still performing my contractual tasks with my loving officemates in the Office of Admissions. I really have enjoyed going from one office to the next everyday. Things never get boring, I'll tell ya that. I am also taking a night class taught by Dr. Keith, the Director of the Union and Associate Dean of Students. I'm going to LOVE this class. Pumped about having him teach it as well. Our program needs some new faces teaching our classes. BADLY.

So that's what is going on in the professional and academic world of Dr. Coach. Mrs. Ms. Collins. On the personal side, my boyfriend and I will celebrate our 6 month anniversary in a few weeks. Where has the time gone? I feel like it was just yesterday when we met on that fateful day in Thompson Hall in front of the big, scary polar bear scene (MSU people may know what I'm talking about...if you don't, just continue reading and trust me that our meet-cute was epic). The fact that we have been together half of a year blows my mind. It makes me realize how swiftly the time passes. I need to pause every now and then and thank the Good Lord Above for all the many blessings that He has bestowed upon me this year. Wonderful family, fantastic roommate/sister, loving boyfriend, solid support system, and all of the other opportunities that have come my way recently.



Alright, now you are all caught up on my life. I have the apartment to myself while my sister is at church and my boyfriend is in class so I have taken the time to blog while I have a moment of silence. Any of my friends that are not in Starkville, please feel free to update me on your lives as well. Every semester comes and goes and so do my local friends. We all grow up, get jobs, and move away...but regardless of where we are, let's try to stay in touch. Deal?

In Maroon and White,

BC

No comments:

Post a Comment