Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Habit



You know, they say it takes 3 weeks to make something a habit. I have heard this from doctors when discussing adapting new diet plans. I have heard it when used during cessation ads. I have heard it from numerous individuals after New Years when they're putting their New Year's resolutions into place. Well, dear captivated audience, I'm sure you've noticed that I have not blogged everyday for the past 3 weeks. It hasn't become a habit. This is merely a form of expression in an effort to keep you all aware of the happenings in my oh-so-exciting life in the great college town of Starkville. I am enjoying sharing events with you thus far, and I hope you are enjoying reading them. Sometimes I have to be super creative when documenting the happenings of the day, because to be quite honest, I lead a very average life.

What am I doing currently? Cooking. No, I don't have the laptop in the kitchen with me. I'm sure some of you would've been super impressed by that ability to multitask. Some of you probably freaked out at the thought of combining technology with food and drink since that leads to potential damages in most cases. Some of you, the ones like me, understand that cooking doesn't require a whole lot of man power unless you're making a 5 course meal for an army. Once the prep work is done, it's pretty much all about watching the oven, stove, microwave, etc. I currently have a pork tenderloin and mac-n-cheese in the oven, green beans on the stove, and squash in the microwave. You should all be stunned by this menu if you read my "College Grocery List" post. I would like to give credit where credit is due. Thank you Mamaw for preparing the mac-n-cheese from scratch ahead of time and sending it to me via my mama. Also thank you Mamaw for giving me the pork tenderloin last time I was home. I was excited to cook both of these together today. 350 degrees until golden bubbly = best directions in the world.

Speaking of making things from scratch, I would like to say how excited I am for Easter break. This marks the 24th year that my mother has locked herself away in the kitchen to prepare a vast array of yumminess. Mandy and I documented the entire celebration from last year. Here's what each of you are missing out on...I know you'll be jealous and I apologize in advance:

You'd think 6 eyes on the stove would be enough until you start cooking for 40 people.

Easter tradition: decorate desserts

Table 1 about 1/3 of the way full of food.

Table 2: casseroles, meats, rolls

Table 3: veggies, veggies, and more turkey

The chef. Complete with Easter apron. She's my role model, y'all.

Everybody is happy on Easter. Even the 3-year-olds.

Table 4: Desserts

Spring means love's in the air. Mandy and Ben before changing into casual clothes for the Egg Hunt.
Nom-Noming on some Easter candy on the porch after the Egg Hunt.

What Easter would be complete without a visit from the Easter Bunny herself???



The Bunny even gives out goodies to the kids!

So, as you can tell, the Collins family does Easter right. I know I said that mama was my role model earlier, but I am not sure that the Easter Bunny legacy will live on after her. No one can do it up to her standards. Y'all tell me one other person y'all know that gets so much pleasure out of dressing like holiday figures? Yeah, I didn't think so. If you'd like to witness this event firsthand, the Collins doors are always open. Come see us. Loosen your belt. Fill your stomach. Have a laugh. Have a piece of pie or some banana pudding. Watch a game on the TV. Pull up a rocking chair. Hide Easter eggs. Search for Easter eggs. Take a nap on the front porch. Break out the softball bat and the frisbee and have competitions. And after all of this, give thanks to God for blessing you with such a wonderful support system. This is the story of my life. May you all have as enjoyable of a time as I do.

-BC

No comments:

Post a Comment