Saturday, February 25, 2012

The College Grocery List

Today's post comes a little later in the day. Why? Because I've spent the entire day at Dudy Noble Field. For those non-MSU people...it's our baseball field. And it is, hands down, the best place on Earth to spend a sunny day.


So onto today's topic: the college grocery list. It was brought to my attention when I returned to my apartment after the baseball game that my sister and I operate under a very limited set of groceries. There are staple items that we can always count on having at any given time: butter, Kraft singles, Easy Mac, Pop-Tarts, chips, Ritz crackers, Uncle Ben's Ready Rice (an assortment of types), a loaf of wheat bread, dry pasta, cereal (no milk), and lunch meat. We also keep the canned goods stocked: green beans, creamed corn, cream of mushroom soup, tuna, and Campbell's Select Harvest soups. Let's not forget about the items in the freezer: frozen orange juice, Lean Cuisines, Smart Ones, chicken, and tilapia. We like to buy fresh fruit, but let's face it, it doesn't last long. And who wants to make another trip to the grocery store just for bananas and grapes? Not this girl.




As you go through this list, you may be wondering how we even begin to put meals together. Well believe me, it takes some creativity. Our go-to meal is a turkey and ham panini with pesto and regular mustard with a side of chips. Next option? Grilled chicken with a side of Ready Rice or steamable veggies. Third option? Soup and Ritz crackers. Tonight I cooked the only option that we had available...breakfast. 2 biscuits, scrambled eggs, instant grits, and bacon. Not exactly what I was craving this evening, but when you have lunch meat with no bread or veggies with no chicken, it makes for slim pickings. I would really love a lesson in stocking a kitchen with essential items. I think Mandy and I are trapped in this world of microwavable or instant favorites. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The Collins' Favorite Panini
On the days that we are unable to round up ingredients to make a meal we decide to cook is going to mean a trip to the grocery store.

What's the one thing that college students hate worse than 8:00 am classes? Going to the grocery store. Especially the black hole that is Wal-Mart. It doesn't matter if you go in with a list and a set budget or if you only take in a ten dollar bill...you're going to come out of that store with a bunch of stuff that you don't need. For example, Mandy and I will go in for make-up remover, shampoo, and toilet paper and come out with 3 movies from the 5 dollar bin, poster board for some project that isn't due for 2 months, and an 8 dollar pack of Sharpie pens in a variety of fun "80's" colors. I know y'all know what I'm talking about.



And as a side note, may I just say that I am the worst person to go grocery shopping with because I will always choose the slowest cashier line. I always go to the shortest line with good intentions of being out of that store more quickly than everyone else...but OH NO. For whatever reason, I think there's a conspiracy against me. I believe that all cashiers on the face of this planet have formed this pact to slow down significantly when they see me coming. Or better yet, they have to price check 4 out of the 8 items that the woman has in her cart. OR, my personal favorite, they have to pick a fight with the lady in front of me about her coupons and how they don't stack coupons or they don't take Kroger coupons or how those aren't the right type of hot dogs for this coupon. Ridiculous. It wears me out. And actually, let's go ahead and add that lady in front of me to the conspiracy because I know she looks at me and decides at that very minute that she is going to either try to swipe a credit card that is so old the machine won't read it or she's going to pay for her entire grocery bill in coins. This process can be especially fun to watch, considering she doesn't have a coin pouch or anything. Oh no, this lady will plop her large purse onto that small area where you used to write your checks (y'all know what I'm talking about, so don't act like you don't) and dig around for that 78 cents that she has come up short on. She will keep pointing out to the cashier that she just KNOWS she's got 78 cents somewhere. After five minutes of being shoulder-deep in this luggage of a purse, she finally comes up with the change. By this point, everyone in line except for me has moved on and has now exited the building. I swear, if it were not for those elderly Wal-Mart greeters, I'd leave mad every time. Thank God for them.



So what can we take away from today's post? Never come over to Brooke and Mandy's house unannounced if you're planning on having something substantial or made from scratch without informing them well in advance, and NEVER go grocery shopping with me. For I am the world's worst at getting in and getting out in a timely manner.

If anyone would like to brave the black hole that is the grocery store, I'll be going to restock the Easy Mac, milk, and Lean Cuisines. See you there. Happy Shopping!

BC



1 comment:

  1. I feel your pain! I hate grocery shopping too. I find a list helps a lot, but even then, it's hardly stops it from being bad! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete