Friday, February 24, 2012

Just a Smile

Today started off just like any other Friday. Got up and got ready for work at 10:00 am. Fridays are the busiest days of the week for our office. Everybody wants to come visit campus and spend the weekend in our great town. I would like to publicly thank our administrators for allowing us to participate in "casual Maroon Fridays." It really establishes good rapport with our staff if we get to wear t-shirts, jeans, and tennis shoes to the office. Anyways, back to my day. So I get to work and immediately begin to interact with families and obey the commands of the office. One of my errands this morning was to fill up a van with gas.

Because of our lovely Fuelman system, this takes place at the Shell station right beside the roundabout in Starkville. This gas station has the WORST parking lot in the history of parking lots. If you've ever been there, then you know exactly what I'm talking about. It's a wonder that cars don't bottom out everyday just from going over the gas lines and potholes. I would also like to note that the Starkvillians that find themselves using this establishment have found new and innovative ways of fitting cars into that lot. There is room for no more than 12 vehicles at one time, but I swear that I've seen upwards of 20 vehicles there at once. I'm still amazed that I've never been in an accident. The Lord is good. Ok, sorry, yet again, for the side note. Back to the point. So I'm filling up the fan with gas and OF COURSE the receipt machine is out of paper. So into the store I go. Only for a receipt. That's it. I am the third person in line behind a mother and daughter who are buying everything under the sun from the "deli".

Fun fact: did you know the Shell only sells fried chicken gizzards by the half dozen? That poor girl only wanted three, but ended up with six for a whopping $2.49. (This was on top of 2 chicken thighs, a pizza stick, and a few "Jo-Jo" potatoes.)

The "Deli" aka The Sea of All-Things-Fried

 So the daughter finally pays for the food and her gas and promptly returns to the vehicle. Now it's the mama's turn. This woman had to have been over 65 years old. She followed suit and ordered a breast and thigh combo, a carton of Kool 100's, and a bottle of water. She chatted with the cashier for a few minutes about how she was so thankful she wasn't having to walk without her cane. Nearly 10 minutes have passed since I entered the store. Still haven't gotten to ask for my receipt. So LaTonya behind the counter finally asks me what I would like. I request my receipt. The older woman turns around and says "Oh baby I am so sorry. If I knew that's all you wanted I would have let you done been on your way." I pat her on the shoulder and assure her that I'm in no hurry. We exchange smiles and she begins her slow progression to the exit.

By the time I receive my receipt and head back to the van, I have caught up with her at the gas pump where we are both parked. She notices that I'm driving the MSU vehicle and immediately strikes up a conversation about her friend from church who works at MSU and loves her job and loves clowns and has the best time and how the friend loves this woman's paintings that she does. I compliment her on her artistic abilities and encourage her to keep painting. I point out that I wish I was creative enough to do that. We say our good-byes (or so I thought) and I head to my car. I haven't even put the key in the ignition before this crazy old woman is knocking on my window. So what do I do? Roll it down, of course. She hands me a stack of cards made out of canvas paper. Each one has a different scene or landscape painted onto it. The beach, a sunset, a field, and  my personal favorite, a waterfall scene. She has brought her artwork to my window, and I couldn't have been more happy to dote on her obvious talent. After pointing out my favorites, she extends her precious hand and says, "My name is Nessie Thomas. I feed off of good spirits and vibes, and you are just radiating such a sweet spirit. Your smile has been a blessing on my morning." I introduce myself and compliment her character. I roll the window up, wave her goodbye, and put the van into motion.

It is unbelievable how, during a span of no more than 20 minutes, my day was made by this elderly woman at the Shell station. I may have given her a smile, but she gave me much more in return. Thought for the Day: Don't be afraid to give someone a smile, because you never know what they may give you in return.



As I say to our Road Runners in the office: "Be good people. Do good things."

BC

1 comment:

  1. This post put a smile & a few laughs on my face today! Seriously, this stuff can only happen to you. Oh and I would like a copy of "The Waterfall" framed for my birthday this year. Thanks

    ReplyDelete