Monday, February 27, 2012

The College Movie Collection

It has come to my attention recently that I have a pretty impressive movie collection. Of course if you read my last post about the grocery list then you'd understand how most of them are acquired...the Wal-Mart 5 dollar bin. But on top of the countless "steals" that I have found in the bin, most of my movies date back to my childhood. Yes, I have a VCR and yes, it works just fine. I am proud to say that I own nearly every Disney movie and if I don't own it, I am still working on buying it. (Just ask my friend Drew...he bought me Mulan on VHS for my 24th birthday this past December).


My entire childhood summed up into one picture

So let's talk about a few of the movies that have defined my college experience besides the Disney ones.

First, there's Varsity Blues. The tale of the underdog. A small town high school football team where all the characters are played by adults. James Van Der Beek at his finest, ladies and gentlemen (movie-wise. that comment was not meant to take away from the awe-inspiring performances he had in Dawson's Creek...that's a whole other blog post just waiting to be written). I consider this movie a classic. It's a sports rendition of good vs. evil. It's the dream that every athlete has when performing under a ridiculous coach. Wouldn't it be nice if an uprising of 20 high school kids could cause a coach to quit during the middle of a game? Ah yes. It's not reality, but it's a great film. I'm still waiting on Tweeter to show up outside my apartment in a cop car. Dreaming big, I tell ya. Dreaming big.

One day...

Second, there's Mean Girls. This movie was quoted just today in the office. I don't know how you can be a female and not halfway idolize this movie...if only for the great one-liners. "Danny DeVito I love your work!" "Gretchen, stop trying to make 'fetch' happen. It's NEVER going to happen." "There's a 30% chance that it's already raining." This movie is a classic simply because it amplifies high school issues to the extreme, and for some reason (like "She's All That") I become enthralled in this fake life that nobody ever has.  Thank you Tina Fey for the marvelous screenplay for this movie. For without it, most of my conversations would great one-liners.


That is so fetch


Third, we have the Shawshank Redemption. So I've gone from 2 fake high school movies to a deep, serious movie. But hey, that's the beauty of a movie collection. Never have I loved watching two characters more than those portrayed by Tim Robbins and Morgan Freeman. Nothing makes two strangers best friends like years in prison. If you haven't seen this wonderful film, then it's high time that you did. I simply cannot be friends with anyone who hasn't seen it. Sorry. But seriously...go watch it. Now.



For the sake of time and space, I will simply name off a few of my other go-to movies. I don't care if you totally disagree 100% with me, but these are movies that I love and can most likely quote. Thought: I wonder how much of my brain is full of movie quotes and song lyrics. I bet that's the reason I have such a hard time filling my head with schoolwork.

Mrs. Doubtfire
Ace Ventura 1&2
Beauty Shop
Fried Green Tomatoes
Steel Magnolias
Diary of a Mad Black Woman
A League of Their Own
Wedding Crashers
Bridesmaids (recent addition to the list)
Shrek (1&2 because let's face it, they should've stopped with the second one)
Newsies
Any Batman movie...I have them all
Gladiator
The Wizard of Oz


I'm tired of typing, so I'll spare you all about 300 more movies that I love, but based on these you should get the gist of what I like. Comedies for the most part. If anyone needs a movie date, just call.

BC

No comments:

Post a Comment