Sunday, March 4, 2012

Inside the Life of a Procrastinator

Based on my results from the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) last year, it seems that I am straddling the line between being a procrastinator and a non-procrastinator. I'd say this is pretty accurate, and it all boils down to one simple fact: if I am interested in getting something done then it gets done. If I'm not, then it gets put on the back burner until the absolute last minute. Some things are just more important than others, ya know?

For example, this weekend I had sufficient down time. Some of which was supposed to be dedicated to school work and preparing for Spring Break aka NODA and NASPA conferences. Did this happen before late Sunday night? Um, no. What did I do instead? Well, like any normal human being I helped my friends celebrate their completion of Comps. This took place Friday night at a nice little place on Main Street called Old Venice. It's not a real popular place, so y'all probably haven't heard of it. From Old Venice, the party continued on to Zorba's. I was proud of all of us for staying out with the young crowd. We did so good! Even if we are somewhere between the ages of 23 and 26...we can still stay up until 2:30 am like champs. The true difference between old people and young people is the ability they have to recover after a late night. I had to spend Saturday recovering on the couch. When I was 21 or younger I could be up and going the next morning. Not the case anymore unfortunately. I am slowly turning into the most lame individual ever. Pretty soon I'm going to have to drink sufficient amounts of caffeine in preparation for a dinner date...just so I can stay awake and be personable. It's only going to get worse with age. I'll probably have to plan my wedding (which will be taking place in 100 years, so go ahead and mark it on your calendars because you're all invited) at noon just so the reception will be over before the sun goes down...just to ensure that I don't pass out from fatigue on the dance floor. Actually, I'll probably be in a walker by this time so dancing will more than likely be out of the picture.


I bet the nursing home chapel will be a REAL nice place for a wedding in 2112.

Ok, back to the procrastinator vs. non-procrastinator issues. Tonight, I got back from a bridal shower at my parents' house at 7:00 pm. This meant that I had give-or-take 6 hours to get some work done before going to bed around 1:00 am. That's usually the time that I'm in bed each night, so it was safe to plan on getting a lot done between 7 and 1. But what did I do first? Cleaned out my car. 30 minutes later it was on to the kitchen where I cleaned out the refrigerator to make room for the lovely leftovers that I brought back from home. Thanks Pearl and Mamaw for the spread! There's nothing better than living off of party food all week. Spinach and artichoke dip anyone?

So after the refrigerator was cleaned and promptly restocked, I had to load the dishwasher and start a load of laundry. Mandy arrived shortly after this took place and provided yet another distraction. Then I made the mistake of turning on the the TV. While flipping through the Netflix queue, I spotted one of Zach Galiafinakis' stand-up shows. Well that took up yet another hour and a half. So by this time it is nearly 11:00pm and I'm finally opening up my computer. I work on a powerpoint presentation that's due tomorrow for about 30 minutes while searching Spotify for a nice playlist. (I settled on a 90s playlist. Epic.)


Don't worry, you're allowed to be jealous. Especially if you noticed "Barbie Girl" was on the list.

It is now 12:15am. I have finished as much of the powerpoint as I was able to this evening and have located my article that I have to summarize for my stupid online class that I don't need but I had to take to keep my graduate assistantship. My car, kitchen, laundry, and floors are clean. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention earlier that I vacuumed. Round of applause for me. In true procrastinator form, I am putting off the online class assignment until tomorrow morning. It will get done. I'm not worried. I have til noon to turn it in. OVER IT. I am so ready for Spring Break. Seriously. And then I'll be ready for Easter. And then I'll be ready for May. My life is nothing but anticipation of the next holiday break. I'm sure some of you are the same. You live holiday to holiday. It's not a bad gig. I rather like it.

FACT.

Well, I'm off to find something else to do instead of schoolwork. Good night world. Happy Monday!
-BC

No comments:

Post a Comment